Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Scribble Picnic. . . . . . . . . . Curtain


I love theatre. I support local theatre and adore the talented people who
 act, sing, dance. Also the many backstage people whom we never even see. 
Carpenters and painters - builders of fabulous scenery, costumers - designing
 or working with vintage clothing, lighting and sound people. . . . . . and of course
 when it's a musical, the talented musicians down in the pit.
I almost always make it to the end of the show and am up on my feet for the
 curtain callapplauding, yelling bravo, but not whistling - I can't do that.
I love stage curtains, especially the heavy velvet ones with tassels and fringe.
Tiebacks and pelmets are gorgeous finishing touches.

I used to sew a lot of curtains and fancy window treatments, now I buy just
 simple linen panels. When did curtains become drapes? I prefer curtains. . . .a word
 of mystery making one wonder what goes on behind them!
In England we grew up with lace or net curtains at the windows, there were no blinds.
 Heavier curtains were drawn over them at night - drawing the curtains meant 
evening was 'drawing in' and another day was over.
We always joked about nosey old ladies peeking out from behind their net 
curtains, watching and telling tales about the neighbors! Sound familiar Michael?

My imaginary stage curtains edited with PicMonkey, colored with pencils.

Michael's SCRIBBLE PICNIC theme for this week is CURTAIN.
Do visit and see what our art collective has sketched this week. . . . and
why not join in, we'd love to have you.


16 comments:

  1. What lovely curtains, you have set it up so beautifully in this post too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá, em todos os espectáculos existe um envolvente desconhecido da grande parte do publico, as cortinas criadas por si são lindas, provam o seu bom gosto.
    Continuação de boa semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think a like....This was my first thought of a curtain too. You illustration is elegant and I can hear the applause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delightful - both the words and the scribble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavy, velvet stage curtains always seem so elegant, as yours are! Our local community theater puts on a musical every summer, which I almost always try to attend. Have even considered participating (like in the chorus), but that hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done. How cool that you used to make your own too. joining from scribble picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer curtains over drapes as drapes just sound like drearly. those are elegant curtains.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your curtains are so dramatic. Fitting for a theater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, this is beautiful and so much detail. It must have taken you forever to finish this. You have quite an eye and the talent to put what you see onto paper. Love it ... love the theater and this is so authentic :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  10. FAB interpretation, Mary. I love theatre, too, and wish we would see more of it but M's not a huge fan. Although he did take me to my very first ballet (The Nutcracker) and my first musical (A Christmas Carol). LOL I'd love to see another holiday one. Oh...and his sister took us to a FANTASTIC British Pantomime in Sheringham and it was the best thing ever! :)

    Hope you're doing well!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is amazing. Kind of puts all the other curtains to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary,
    Delightful picture and story. We went to two plays last week of our local theatre. One was a cross-country one person play called Jake's Gift about a veteran who returned to Juno Beach (where Canadians First Wave landed on D-Day) and his meeting a 10 year old French girl. The story is amazingly warm, heartbreaking but uplifting as well. To watch the actress who also wrote the play perform a 10 year old girl, an old man, and a middle aged woman is truly remarkable. At times I was sure there were 3 characters - really.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful post on all counts, Mary! I can't even remember the last time I went to a theatre...I am definitely missing out.

    Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, everything you wrote their about the net curtains and such sounds familiar, yes!! Too funny. And i so agree about curtains vs. drapes! These staged curtains are gorgeous.

    I love how you take us down memory lanes each week, Mary. Oh oh, jsut realised I probably have some serious catch up to do here again since you are so prolific! Msut do. Been awfully busy lately with work stuff and late ngihts so only now getting to Scribble Picnic people to see everyone's additions. Thank you.

    P.S. I love theatre too. In fact, if I had had no artistic merit, I likely would have gone to the stage and maybe I should have. It probably would have had a comedy arc to it. :) If not that, then something to do with stage design as I loved that too and considered that for further education once.

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy reading your comment - thanks so much for stopping by.